The vital part, the heart and soul of Christian Science, is Love.
Our Church History
Christian Science was introduced into Nashua about the year 1884 and in 1887 Nashua’s first practitioner was listed in The Christian Science Journal. In October 1898 a meeting was held in the Whiting Building and the Articles of Church Incorporation were read and adopted, after which the Church Constitution was subscribed to by the charter members. A petition to the state of New Hampshire for a charter was made and granted.
From 1889 to 1928 church services were held in the Whiting Building, Phillips Building, and Union Building. As larger accommodations were needed, a return was made to the Whiting Building and then to the Odd Fellows Building. The Reading Room was established in 1889. First Church of Christ, Scientist, Nashua, held its first lecture in Beasom Block in May 1889, and organized its first Sunday School in 1901.
In 1928 the former Stark Estate at the corner of Concord and Manchester Streets was purchased. Dedicated in 1940 this site served the Christian Science community for the next fifty years. Increased attendance during these years necessitated expanding into all available space in the building. In 1962 an area of the second floor, equal in size to the church auditorium, was opened up to meet the needs of the growing Sunday School.
In the Fall of 1977, the “Stark” property was sold. Church services and Sunday School were held in the Arts & Science Center, in downtown Nashua, until a permanent church home being built at 115 Concord Street was readied. The congregation began holding church and Sunday School services in the new church in June, 1978. An opening service for the community was held on September 10th and the first lecture was held in the new building a week later.